Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What I Read Wednesday

Rage
Sometimes I just need a good crime novel to turn off my brain. When I was home sick with the stomach flu last week, I didn't have anything to read. So after wandering around Walgreens and buying four bottles of Gatorade, I also bought this book. Then I went home and slept for four hours, so I guess I didn't really need a book. This book is about a criminal psychologist named Alex Delaware who is the subject of many of Kellerman's novels. I was pretty easily lost in the story of who killed who and why, without having to think too much. I did think it ended a little too abruptly because I wanted to know a little bit more about some of the loose ends, but otherwise, it was a good story.

The House at Riverton
This is by the same author as The Forgotten Garden, which I reviewed last week. I enjoyed this one even more. This is told mainly through the point-of-view of an old woman in her nineties, as she reflects back on her time as a lady's servant. You get bits and pieces in the beginning of something tragic that happened at the House at Riverton involving the woman she served, but it isn't until the end that all the pieces are connected. It gives you a look into the British serving class during this time period, as well as weaving a really beautiful, sad story. I loved it.

A Week in Winter
I didn't realize until I finished that Maeve Binchy finished this book shortly before passing away. Like all of her books, it's about people going through hardships but managing to find comforts in one another, in their surroundings. This book read a bit differently than her other books. I wasn't sure where it was going through the first half, then it was almost like a short story book, the way it all connected in the end. Still, it was a great read, as all of hers are.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

I used to read a lot of Kellerman novels. One of the interesting things is that they are all (at least the ones that I read) set right around where I grew up. I think my hometown was actually mentioned a few times in one of the books.

One crazed mommy said...

This is the first time in a LOOOOONG time that I haven't read at least a book a week. Between work travel, strep and visiting family I am STILL reading the Angry Woman Suite - only about 25% completed, according to my Kindle...sigh! Maybe soon...

Barb Ruess said...

I'm finishing up Gone Girl and then I'll either read The Piano Teacher or The Wilderness... or both since I have some time in the car coming up!